Small Claims Court Frequent Questions

Help Me Find...

Small claims court is a special court where disputes are resolved quickly and inexpensively. People speak for themselves in small claims court.

What kinds of cases go to small claims court?

The most common cases are:

  • car accidents
  • property damage
  • rent deposit disputes
  • disputes with contractors
  • money collections



How much money can I ask for?

If you are an individual or a sole proprietor, you can ask for up to $10,000, unless you were injured in a car accident. If you are suing because you were injured in a car accident and the party you are suing was insured at the time of the accident and their insurance company has to defend them, then you can only ask for up to $7,500.

You can file only two claims each calendar year (January-December) for more than $2,500.  However, you can file as many claims as you want for up to $2,500 each. (If you file more than 12 cases in a 12-month period, the filing fee increases to $100.)

Can I bring a lawyer?

No, a lawyer can't represent you in court during a hearing or trial before the judge has decided the case (called, ‘the judgment). But you can talk to a lawyer before or after court.  However, if the defendant appeals the judgment, either side can have a lawyer represent them on appeal.  An appeal, in Small Claims court, is a request to the court for a new trial by the defendant who lost the case.

Where can I get help?

The Small Claims Advisor helps plaintiffs and defendants fill out and file their court forms, understand and follow court procedures, consider ways to settle a case, and get ready for court.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Online forms are often available in formats which allow you
to fill them out and print them. You cannot file the forms online.

Get information on: 



Tell us about your court experience


Report website problems